2019 Judging Process

Thank you for your interest in America’s Pig Farmer of the YearSM Award. The judging and selection processes are outlined below.

Judging Process

  1. Applications: contest Applications and applicants’ farm photos received by 11:59 P.M. CDT April 1, 2019, will be reviewed by National Pork Board staff to ensure completeness and candidate eligibility.
  2. Semi-Finalists: The top 6 to 8 applicants will be selected as semi-finalists based on their answers to the contest application, photo submissions. If you are selected as a semi-finalist, the National Pork Board will contact you to schedule a Common Industry Audit on your farm at the expense of the National Pork Board. Semi-finalists will also participate in a video interview with a panel of pork industry experts as a last step in determining the four finalists.
  3. Four Finalists & Winner: Four finalists will be determined from scores from the contest application, photo submissions, video interview and completion of the Common Industry Audit. The four finalists will be interviewed in-person by a panel of third-party judges, and the National Pork Board will have a professional video taken at their farms. The third-party panel of judges will determine 90% of the winning score based on the in-person interviews, professional videos and previous judging scores. The remaining 10% of the winning scoring will come through public online voting via social media outlets controlled by the National Pork Board.

Thank you for participating and helping make this award a success for America’s pig farmers.

The “America’s Pig Farmer of the Year Award Contest” is subject in all respects to the complete Official Rules available at the Contest website located at www.americaspigfarmer.com, or by sending a S.A.S.E. to “America’s Pig Farmer of the Year Award Contest  – Rules Request,” c/o National Pork Board, 1776 NW 114th St., Des Moines, IA 50325 (VT residents may omit return postage). 

Brad Greenway from Mitchell, South Dakota is the 2016 America's Pig Farmer of the Year.